Colmore Plaza, Birmingham
Bowmer & Kirkland
About The Project:
Colmore Plaza is one of the largest speculative office buildings in the U.K set in the heart of the traditional commercial sector of Birmingham City Centre.
The project incorporated the design and construction of a thirteen storey 320,000 square foot office building complete with category A fit out in order to provide Birmingham with much needed premium office space. The project was awarded the Regional BCO Award for Sustainable Development 2007.
The BCO Awards defines excellence in office space and provides public recognition for top quality design and functionality, as well as acknowledging innovation and focusing external attention on examples of best practice.
The very lastest modeling techniques were used to calculate the impacts and implications of design options, enabling us to take a holistic approach to the design, bringing together the main elements of the building services systems. It was one of the first projects of its size to gain Part L Building Regulations 2006 compliance.
The project utilised the existing 5-storey deep basement to form plantrooms and storage together with a 2 storey car park.
- 6 roof turbo core air cooled packaged chillers, totaling 3.3mw of cooling capacity
- 4 roof mounted air handling units
- Fully sprinklered office accommodation to LPC OH111 with enhanced life safety features
- Basement gas fired boiler plant totaling 2.6mw of heating capacity
- 730 no 4—pipe 2 part fully automated DC fans coil installations
- Primary and secondary supple and exhaust ventilation systems
- Full trend building management systems
- Staircase smoke de-pressurisation system
- Dry riser installation
- Combined car park extract and smoke extract installations
- All plumbing, H+CWS and sanitary provision
- All floor plate, riser and major plantroom pipework pre-fabricated off site
- HV and LV switchgear, switchroom and installation
- Standby life safety generator
- Fire alarm system incorporating phased evacuation system
- LG7 lighting installation featuring Zumptobel light fittings with fully automated lighting control system incorporating energy saving and daylight saving systems
- Full access and security with bespoke lift integration for full call destination system
- Rising bus bars and floor plate below floor power distribution to all floors
- Full IT wiring and provision of server routes to level 1 fit out and landlord provisions
- Lightening protection
- Disabled refuge and WC alarm system
- External feature lighting